Pages

Wednesday, 14 December 2011

Fire ! Fire ! Fire !


A tip for all quilters   - double check that you turn the  gas is off before you go to the sewing room! About 3 weeks ago now I thought that I had turned the gas off under a pot of oil..... but I had not. It ignited and went through the exhaust fan to the cupboards , along the curtains to my husband's whiskey collection - which exploded. The heat and smoke damage occurred through the whole house. I have really learned the value of being properly insured (which we were fortunately).  I had no idea how sticky the smoke reside was going to  be. It is like a black glue that sticks to everything.

Our insurance fortunately covered the clean up. We had 6 industrial cleansers cleaning the house contents  for a week and packing everything in to storage. They removed 64 large bags of clothing and linen for dry cleaning.

Now the builders have arrived and started cleaning the walls - and gutting the kitchen - dining room including ceilings.

The one thing that the cleaners would not touch is my sewing room and fabric collection. Because of the raw edges they said that I had to throw out the whole lot and claim the value. I think that they had no idea what it was worth.... Actually I have got most of it clean by going to the laundromat so that I could used multiple washing machines and dryers. I then got my ironing lady to iron it. I will send the insurers the laundromat and ironing bill - but I still think that will be a small fraction of the replacement cost. This as actually made me document, and put a value on my collection... and it certainly shows why I need to be a stashbuster!!!!

A piece of insight I have learned from this is that we were not over insured - clean up is expensive.

16 comments:

  1. I bet he was as upset over the whiskey exploding as you were over the fabric! YEESH! It also reminds this fellow Stashbuster to blow out candles before I go sew. Good luck salvaging all your fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the sadness and work you 'all have hadm but thankful that you are alright.
    Gladys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness you poor thing. So sorry to hear of this happening. Glad you have been able to salvage your quilting fabric - hope the rest of your treasures will be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know that your time should be included into the insurance claim. washing and drying is no easy task.....

    i am just soooo sad for all the loss and work, but am so thankful that no one was hurt and that the damage was not more extensive. and yes, boy howdy, being a whiskey drinker myself, i would be just sick, sick,sick over the loss of the collection....

    tell him i am gonna go have a hot whiskey in his honor--just a sacrifice i am willing to make for a stranger LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh - what a way to start the holiday season! Glad no one was hurt. : )
    June

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear of your disaster but so glad that the people and pets (?) were okay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Deborah -- what a horrible episode! I'm glad that no one was hurt....but what a way to remodel your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank God no one was hurt! Fabric and whiskey can be replaced. I think I might call my insurance and just check my coverage...

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy thanksgiving to you! what a holiday story to tell. glad to hear that cleanup is going well. i told hubby that i am going to learn from your experience and have thus committed to no longer cook while there is fabric in the house. (he didn't fall for it either but worth a try- lol)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was missing your posts. Glad nobody was hurt. Wish we were all there to help clean and sort the fabric with you. Good luck and hope it keeps going smoothly for you.

    doni @ Oregon coast

    ReplyDelete
  11. DH did same thing over 25yrs ago, but he had on the attic exhaust fan-- almost totaled the house. You are in my prayers

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry to hear that you had a fire...but happy to hear that it is getting taken care of for you and that you didn't lose your stash! Thanks for all the great inspiration on your blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's just terrifying! I'm so glad you're okay and were able to get everything taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry to hear about all of this. I know there is never a good time, but having all of this at the holidays is especially bad. I know we all have a lot of money wrapped up in our stashes. It is scary to think about it really. I hope you were able to have a Merry Christmas in spite of all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hugs sweetie. I am going through this too. My fire was on 1/1.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I´m shocked! Fortunately no one was injured. Hope to see you back posting and showing your beautiful work as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy the encouragement I get from feedback. As I am part of the process pledge I love to know if I am giving useful information... looking forward to hearing from you