Pages

Monday, 4 April 2011

Roses Quilt

 This is a quilt that I have designed for our church's mother's day raffle. Several ladies asked for pink - a color that i am relatively low on because of my stash busting efforts. However looking through my fabrics I did find some small rose panels.


 
The first challenge of this quilt was coming up with a design that would work with a set of 8 small rose blocks - in  a queen size quilt.  A design with 9 would have been far more obvious as that would make a 3 x 3 grid. The rose garden panel is obviously far bigger than the individual rose blocks - but as it fitted the theme of roses I decided to make this the  ninth block. The differences in the sizes of these actually was the catalyst for the design.

I decide that a traditional English design would be in keeping with the fabrics and therefore chose a medallion layout.  The large one need to be put in the middle. The sizes of the subsequent borders was planned to make the layout look balanced.



The rose garden panel is far less pink than the other parts of the quilt. In order to highlight the pink in this panel and help the quilt bond to together I beaded the panel with mainly clear beads stitched with a deep pink thread.To me this helps bring out the pinks without dominating the picture.

15 comments:

  1. wow, that is beautiful!! wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow -- that setting really takes advantage of the eight blocks. I wouldn't have had any idea what to do to make them work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to agree with the above comments. that is absolutely wonderful and very creative for the 8 blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exquisite - and what is even better, it gives me some great ideas to use with some "random" flower blocks of my own. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lovely quilt for Mother's Day and a great use of the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely quilt. The centre panel compliments the rose blocks perfectly. I love the design. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your encouraging remarks... My approach to the color in this quilt
    was to use on of the pink roses as my basis. I then went through the fabrics I
    had - did they have one of the shades of pink in the roses? I kept only the
    ones that did. In this case that was not many fabrics: there was one bigger
    piece with rosebuds, and 2 smaller pieces of floral with pink, and some 2 darker
    pink plains. To this I added a white tone on tone print - I did not choose plain
    white as I thought in large areas this would be just two plain and I knew that
    there would be large areas due to the lack of pink.

    The width of the stripes and strips was determined again by the fabric
    available: to make this symmetrical I need 8 (for example) pieces that are X
    long - i then calculated how wide to cut them and hoped like mad i had not made
    a calculation error...

    With my left overs I could perhaps make a potholder... The only reason I did not
    relent and go to a fabric shop is the distance I would have to travel....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very creative way to use the rose blocks. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is Beautiful.Congratulationes.Kisses

    simone/poa

    www.simonert.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. A really beautiful quilt that makes great use of your stash. You are a true stashbuster at heart! Keep up the good work. I love looking at all the creative ways you use your fabric.

    Joyce in CT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing some of the behind the scenes thinking on this lovely project.

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Using stash is always good, nice job making what you had work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is beautiful. I am amazed that a little bit of pink can go a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. VERY CREATIVE solution and a STUNNING quilt! Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy the encouragement I get from feedback. As I am part of the process pledge I love to know if I am giving useful information... looking forward to hearing from you