Pages

Sunday, 25 July 2010

Memory quilt finished


Central panel


finished quilt
 Details of  fabrics in outer boarder: Pleated panel, glove, smocked dress.
 The greatest challenge in quilting this was the textured nature of some of the pieces and sewing the darning foot into some of the folds and pleats. Any suggestions for next time??????

Tuesday, 20 July 2010

Two quilts that gelled together


When I had finished the nine patch and sashing I began to look for a suitable border and was thinking of a green. I then remembered the postard quilt that had not worked on it's green background. So I decided to cut it up to make the border. As most of the postcards were either less than 8 inches wide or 8 inches tall - I cut them out to make a 10 inch boarder including some of the original green background to unify it ... this time I think they work.


Should I add another cream border? Or some more green? Or just get it quilted?

Finished quilt
 

Two quilts that did not gel - Australian postcards.

The second quilt that did not gel is one for a former exchange student who wanted something that reflected his time in Australia. Initally I looked at making an Australian scene with large kangaroos in the forground and other things in the background. Unfortunatly I found it very difficult to include the variety of things that he had been involved in in one picture... footy (Australian rules) , Hockey (field not ice), scuba diving on the barrier reef, and Ayers rock etc.

So I came up with the idea of postcards thrown on a breadspread..... Well they certainly looked thrown  and while I Like some of the individual pieces the combination I had come up with looked like a teenager's mess..... and this student was not one of the really messy ones.  So it had got shoved in the too hard basket.


This toille picture was originally very black on white ... so I "aged" it by soaking in strong tea.


This picture of the Sydney opera house I printed from a photo after increasing the contrast in adobe photoshop elements ( I find this important to get the correct colour balance on fabric)

This group were tiny panels with almost no fabric around them to create a seam allowance - so I appliqued them onto a backgound so that i did not loose part of the picture.


Two quilts that did not gel .... Australian 9 patch

As part of my stash busting I am trying to finish off all those UFOs and quilts promised to people. So last week I got out a bundle of blocks that had come in from a nine patch block swap on an Australian theme. There were lots of great blocks in this swap -which a considerable variety of fabrics and colours many of which must be relatively rare as I had not seen them previously. (I collect all Austrlian fabrics I can). Unfortunatly I has not been successful in arranging these in a way I liked I had it fixed in my mind to have a plain block in between each of the pieced blocks but I could find no fabric that worked ....

So I did a google image search on 9 patch blocks to see what other had done with very varied nine patches and I found that the ones I found most attractive were those with a plain sashing allowing each block to stand in its own right.

Monday, 5 July 2010

Memory quilt continued


The boarders are now added. I had carefully calculated the necessary boarder so that the square all matched up but unfortunately i did not allow for the wide variety of fabrics affecting the size. With the outer boarder i increased my ususal seam allowance to 1/2 invh because so many of the fabric were prone to fray.

Saturday, 3 July 2010

Memory quilts - in progress.



I have been working on some quilts with a firiend in memory of her mother.

The central panel above is made from doillies, a silk bag (vase); a small wool enbroidery sample (pink rose centre); flowers and leaves cut from a  lace collar (shown left) and a lace hem; figarines from a piece of furnishing linen; ribbon and the background fabrics are recycled from clothing.

Things that I found important technically:
1. To carefully catch in any "loose loops" on the flowers and leaves as they are crochet and would unravel where cut.
2. To back the furnishing linen with a very light iron on interfacing to prevent fraying.

The overall look I am trying to achieve is that of a table top near a wall between two windows with satin curtains - with a bit of a William Morris flavour. This panel will become the central panel of a quilt in the traditional British Medallion style.



The other quilt we are working on is for a grandson who likes dramatic effects including black. We choase a pattern suitable for a younger person making the blocks using all types of fabrics many of which were backed with light weight iron on for stability.